Sunday, May 20, 2007

Jenny, I got your number!

Oh yeah, baby! Come on all you 'stuck in the 80's kids' out there - you know who you are! You know exactly what I'm talkin' about, don't you?? Let's all sing it together:

"867-5309, 867-5309, 867-5309...."

And don't forget to make it sound like this "niy iy ine"!! Aw man! I just loved that darn song! Mark and I were just talking about it in the car the other day. In fact, I think I was laughing at him because he actually got the numbers wrong! He's not a 'true 80's' kid, though. He was born a loooooong time before me, like a whole 7 years! Gah - that guy's gettin' up there! Ah, but, that's beside the point.

The point is that now, all these years later, two plumbers are fighting over the phone number! They have their lawyers involved and they're going to court over it and everything! Over a phone number! Too funny, huh? The original 'owner' of the phone number, Brown University, gave it up when it grew weary of all of the prank phone calls.

So here are these two plumbing companies, paying all kinds of legal fees, to get their hands on a phone number, that generates an over-the-top amount of prank calls. Ok, then.

Here is a link to the article where you can read all about it:

Plumbers fight for famous phone number

_______________________________________________________

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is really a blast from the past. I can't believe they'd fight over it, either. Hey, do you have Prince Albert in a can? Is your refrigerator running?

Anonymous said...

That's funny...it's a number you'll remember, but at what cost? Lots of crank calls?

Unknown said...

Ok, Cass - I don't know the Prince Albert one...and I am not publicly admitting that I don't get it! Not! I am getting a headache, though - and I get seriously mental confusion with them - so, what the hell does that one mean???

And isn't it kind of a shame that all of our modern technology has ruined that for kids? I mean, sure - we wouldn't ever condone it - but, upon discovering a gaggle of our kids giggling in the bedroom after just having 'gotten' someone - wouldn't we walk away - giggling ourselves - and a little, dare I say, prideful - they were enjoying that rite of passage we all can relate to???

A bummer, for sure...

Deb - exactly! How much are they spending on their legal cases and will the benefit of the number outweigh the pain in the ASS of the crank calls? You know how the radio stations go through phases of playing old songs repeatedly...

Unknown said...

Oh, and Cass - I forgot to say - your comment made me laugh out loud!!!