Thursday, February 18, 2010

The HSUS Assists San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in Raid of Alleged Cockfighting Operation : The Humane Society of the United States

Humane Society of the United StatesImage via Wikipedia


The HSUS Assists San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in Raid of Alleged Cockfighting Operation : The Humane Society of the United States

This one really hits home with me, because, I've been so shocked to find so many schools and universities that still have the mascot name "Gamecocks".  It just blows my mind that they haven't changed their mascots.  I really should research how many schools there still are with it. It's just nuts!

1 comment:

David Tamayo said...

I was a “Humane Investigator” with the Hawaiian Humane Society. During my time there I was usually the one sent to residences with complaints filed against them for having “Gemecocks”. Most often it was because of the noise and because some of these guys kept too many in a residential area. I have even been involved in raids where law enforcement would go into an active fight and arrest participants. Interestingly enough just for the gambling infraction and not for the cruelty aspect. There is a lot to be made from this activity and unlike with dogs there seems to be an almost acceptance of this in certain cultures like they might think dogs fighting is cruel but not chickens. I guess there still needs to be a concerted drive to educate the public about what constitutes cruelty. Good job with this post. Keep it up. ;o)