Monday, August 20, 2007

Web hosting information overload

I have been trying to learn all that I can about web site hosting. I have recently acquired a few new sites, and I have a lot to learn. I have actually had my own hosting for several years, but, that is through a host that is what I call - a major hand-holder! I wouldn't say I've really learned a whole lot of back end information from that account. I actually had it for several years before I even knew what an FTP program was!

But as I wander around the internet, trying to absorb as much information as I can, I find that I am getting lost in a sea of advice. I want to find the information that I actually need - not too technical, not too simple - so that I can do my work online, to the best of my ability.

I found a site today that seems to be offering me just that.
It is called Web Hosting Information and there
is a lot of great - and understandable - advice there.

They have a huge section of reviews, in which they review a ton of different hosting companies. And anyone who visits the site can vote on each company based on features, reliability, support, and price. And there is also a comment section under each review, so that if you have anything you want to share about a particular company, you can.

They have a weekly podcast, on which they answer questions that have come in. They're very short, so they're easy to listen to. And underneath each podcast, they list related resource articles. This is a great section! They are a month behind right now, though, so I'm hoping they'll pick this one back up soon.

My favorite section is the News. They offer daily hosting industry news briefings. So you get a little bit of this or that, in relation to hosting. The last one talked about a Hosting Convention in Las Vegas that's going on right now.

All in all, I think this is going to be a great site to help educate me about the in's and out's of web hosting and I'm glad to have found it!

No comments: