Monday, March 05, 2007

Observations in the airport

"For some years I have been afflicted with the belief that flight is possible to man."
-Wilbur Wright

And it is. Quite possible, actually. And there is a LOT of it! I mean - seriously! I sat there at the gate, waiting for my flight to board, watching the activity around me. And I thought - how cavalier we all are. How amazingly we take flight for granted.

"Fly? Why, of course, I'm going to fly. Don't be silly, darling."

"I've got a flight out in the morning, then I'll fly back the next day."

"Honey, what do you say we fly up to NYC for the weekend to take in a show?"

It's as simple as putting on your tennis shoes. And there are thousands upon thousands of people doing it every day.

Really rather funny, when you stop to think about it.

Can you picture Orville and Wilbur sitting in an airport today. Wouldn't the 'time-meshing' of that be interesting? Ironic? Funny?

My brother flies for work once, sometimes twice, a month. Back and forth he goes. No problem - very simple.

But take a look at this:
Orville and Wilbur - First flight - December 17th, 1903

They worked so hard and for so many years - just to get to that point.

But you want to go to Chicago to see your favorite boy cousin, John? Just log into Hotwire.com and book your flight, baby! No problem!

Nice, eh?

Thanks, Orville and Wilbur!!

No comments: